Welcome to the Official Band of the Los Angeles Police Department
The LAPD Band serves as ambassador for the City of Los Angeles throughout the United States and abroad. The band has performed for presidents, kings, queens, and for inaugurations of police chiefs and mayors. Under the direction of Dr. Don Holcomb, the band has become a premiere concert band, the pride of the Police Department and the City of Los Angeles.
Throughout its history, the LAPD Band has been at the disposal of the Los Angeles Police Department and the City of Los Angeles to perform at official functions. In addition, the band also performs for the Department of Parks and Recreation, Fire Department, United States Armed Forces, and numerous other law enforcement, government and civic organizations.
Conductor-Director Search Information
LOS ANGELES POLICE CONCERT BAND, “THE OFFICIAL BAND OF THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES”
JOB DESCRIPTION for CONDUCTOR-DIRECTOR
May 1, 2016
Direct/Conduct the Los Angeles Police Concert Band and supervise other bands within the Concert Band, such as The Swing Band and the Dixieland Band. Reports to the Band Executive Committee, and is subject to fingerprinting and background check by LAPD.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in the area of instrumental music.
- Ability to manage budget and personnel.
- Ability to implement policy and procedures according to the LAPD requirements and the Band’s Executive Committee.
- Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
- Must have flexible schedule, allowing for a commitment to all band rehearsals and performances.
- At least three years of band directing/conducting experience.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Direct/Conduct a (70) member Concert Band at weekly rehearsals, police graduations, and any other public/private events that are requested for and by LAPD and the City of Los Angeles.
- Maintain performance requirements from band members, including performance skills, as well as personal appearance at performances.
- Appoint and oversee section leaders, and make sure all instruments are covered for each performance.
- Maintain knowledge of all fixed assets, including music library, uniform inventory, and band equipment.
- Assist with recruitment, selection, supervision, and evaluation of musicians and assistant band director(s).
- Assist in arranging transportation and cartage for band performances.
- Assist the band’s Operations Director with any necessary information.
- Attend the Band’s Monthly Executive Committee meetings
The Band Director will be entitled to a stipend TBD by C.O.P.S.
APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR NAME, EMAIL, AND A BRIEF MESSAGE INDICATING THEIR INTEREST BY SENDING US A MESSAGE THROUGH OUR CONTACT PAGE. THEY WILL BE SENT AN LAPD VOLUNTEER ENROLLMENT FORM TO COMPLETE, ALONG WITH FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS. IN ADDITION TO THE VOLUNTEER ENROLLMENT FORM, APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A COVER LETTER AND RESUME. AFTER ALL OF THE MATERIALS ARE RECEIVED, AN ORAL INTERVIEW AND CONDUCTING AUDITION WITH THE BAND WILL BE SCHEDULED.
Get the CD
The Los Angeles Police Concert Band Proudly Salutes America and Her Musicals
Check it out on our Media page
In The Press
Read more ...